Zachary Watterson was born in New York City. His short stories and essays appear in The Massachusetts Review, The Paris Review Daily, Post Road, River Styx, Commentary, The Stranger, and the W.W. Norton anthology called Inheriting the War: Poetry and Prose By Descendants of Vietnam Veterans and Refugees. His work has received several awards, including a Pushcart Prize nomination.
- Publisher's Weekly calls Inheriting the War a "penetrating and powerful collection [that] brings together some of the most talented, haunted voices of those affected by the Vietnam War." Read the review here.
- The essay "Finding Home After the Vietnam War" appears as "A Soundtrack of the War" in the W.W anthology, Inheriting the War.
- The essay "Finding Home After the Vietnam War"appears in The Paris Review Daily ahead of its publication in the W.W. Norton anthology.
- The essay "Open Late Hours" from Post Road has been selected by Robert Atwan as a Notable Essay listed in Best American Essays, an anthology published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- The essay “Unfamiliar Country” appears online in a magazine in the UK.
- The short story "At Your Last Gasp" appears in Commentary Magazine's Summer Fiction Issue.
- Zachary has been awarded a 2011 grant from the Elizabeth George Foundation and a 2011 scholarship to the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.
- The essay "Insulatus" appears in the Spring 2010 issue of Massachusetts Review.
- Zachary has been awarded a scholarship to the 2009 Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.
- The short story "One Hot Summer on the East Side of Detroit, 1992, with Mr. Big Words" was nominated for a Pushcart Prize.
- The short story "One Hot Summer on the East Side of Detroit, 1992, with Mr. Big Words" appears in the Fall 2009 issue of River Styx.
- Zachary has been named a work-study scholar (i.e., waiter) for the 2008 Bread Loaf Writers' Conference. Read about the waitership here.
Publications and Awards
Selected short stories:
Fellowships, scholarships and awards:
- Notable Essay in Best American Essays - "Open Late Hours" from Post Road
- Elizabeth George Foundation – Fellowship
- Bread Loaf Writers' Conference – Work-study and Administrative staff Scholarships
- Jentel Arts Foundation – Residency
- Pushcart Prize Nomination – River Styx
- New Stories from the Midwest Nomination – River Styx
- Richard Blessing Award – Scholarship
- University of Washington – Eugene Van Buren Prize for MFA Fiction
- Helen Riaboff Whiteley Center – Visiting Scholar